Click here to download a PDF of the job description
Organization: Coastal Quest
Position Type: Full-time
Location: Headquarters in Oakland, CA
Coastal Quest is a 501(c)3 nonprofit working collaboratively with communities to build a more resilient coast by increasing inclusive, science-based planning, governance, financing, and project implementation for a just, prosperous, and sustainable future. Coastal Quest works around the world, from white water to blue water, on lakes and shorelines, and at the land-water connection. We provide project management, science and technical expertise, connect partners with financial and human resources, contract management, grantmaking, and facilitation of public-private partnerships. We are purposefully nimble, designed to solve multifaceted and complex coastal issues. We are here to achieve resilience goals, reduce threats, and implement solutions.
The Communications Coordinator will support the Organization as we grow and build innovative programs that tell compelling stories and enhance our communications pipeline. This role involves creating public relations and marketing materials such the website and social media, press releases, and programmatic support such as grant writing and assisting with virtual and in-person conference series. This role also involves being a liaison for the Board of Directors, assisting in Board meeting preparation, agenda development, and meeting logistics. The Communication Coordinators may work on a wide range of projects and programs for the organization and will need excellent time management skills and the ability to manage multiple workstreams simultaneously.
- Support development of organizational communications strategic plan and implement it.
- Writing and assistance with a variety of content, including social media, blogs, talking points, case studies, communication plans, and presentations.
- Grant, proposal, report writing and support, as well as editing and review of similar documents.
- Support developing virtual and in-person conferences and workshops from start to finish, including marketing material, contact management and outreach, conference logistics, virtual and in-person support.
- Board coordination and liaison functions including Board communication, developing agendas, organizing meetings, creating materials such as board books and dockets, and day-of tasks such as note-taking.
- Perform general office activities and project support on a variety of programs, such as consultation with Tribal Nations and outreach and engagement with Community Based Organizations and government stakeholders.
- Support multiple projects with the ability to work independently, set deadlines, and ensuring personal accountability.
- Possession of an analytical, strategic, and creative approach to problem solving.
- Ability to produce products in a timely fashion through collaborative processes.
- Ability to conduct research efficiently and effectively using online tools.
- Fast typing speed (40+ words per minute) for notetaking.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Demonstrated experience with social media and other marketing platforms.
- Experience in writing for – and presenting to – a diverse and inclusive audiences.
- A good working knowledge of all Microsoft Office programs, including Word, PowerPoint, and basic statistical functions in Excel.
- Demonstrated experience in WordPress.
- Experience in using marketing platforms like Mailchimp or CRM.
- Strong, personal commitment to realizing the mission of Coastal Quest.
- Strong project management experience, including managing contracts.
Knowledge and Experience:
- Minimum of a bachelor’s degree and two years of relevant experience (marketing, communications, or journalism a plus but not required).
- Interdisciplinary training in social sciences, planning, communications, coastal and/or marine systems, climate adaptation, organizational effectiveness, communications
- Multi-lingual skills and multi-cultural or cross-cultural experiences are appreciated.
Application Instructions: Please submit the following in 1 pdf to firstname.lastname@example.org
- 1 page cover letter
- 1 writing sample
- 3 references
Salary: $65,000-$75,000 depending on qualifications and experience
Closing Date: September 24th, 2021
Location: Headquarters in Oakland, CA in-person office hours expected in 2022.