Nonprofit Finance and Grants Director
Nonprofit Finance and Grants Director
Organization: Coastal Quest
Position Type: Full-time
Location: Headquarters in Oakland, CA
Coastal Quest is a 501(c)3 nonprofit working collaboratively with communities to build a more resilient coast by increasing inclusive, science-based planning, governance, financing, and project implementation for a just, prosperous, and sustainable future. Coastal Quest works around the world, from white water to blue water, on lakes and shorelines, and at the land-water connection. We provide project management, science, and technical expertise, connect partners with financial and human resources, contract management, grantmaking, and facilitation of public-private partnerships. We are purposefully nimble, designed to solve multifaceted and complex coastal issues. We are here to achieve resilience goals, reduce threats, and implement solutions.
The Coastal Quest team seeks a Finance and Grants Director to lead on finance, budgeting, invoicing, and billing for private and governmental grants, and at an organizational level. The Finance and Grant Director will also work closely on fundraising-related responsibilities, including reporting from Salesforce and managing grants in the database. The ideal candidate has a strong background in finance, especially organizational and program budgeting, along with a background in managing complex government grants and contracts, at the state and federal level, as well as experience with private funders and private-public foundations such as NFWF. In addition, the ideal candidate will be willing and able to assist with general organizational support matters such as office admin, events, and correspondence. 40% of the Director’s time will be spent on general finance, 40% on grants administration, and 20% on fundraising support and general organizational support.
The Director will report to the Executive Director. The ideal candidate will have experience in grants, finance, and administration and be excited to join a growing and entrepreneurial team.
Key finance functions:
- Assist in the preparation of the bi-weekly payroll and payroll grant allocation.
- Support annual organizational budgeting for Coastal Quest and our fiscally sponsored programs.
- Prepare and present financials at Board of Director meetings.
- Support project staff in preparing budgets for funder proposals and reports.
- Coordinate with accounting vendor on general invoicing and bill management, including scanning, coding, and submitting documentation.
- Coordinate with and provide financials to CPA and audit firm, in partnership with accounting vendor.
- Work with accounting partner to ensure accurate recording of grant expenditures in Quickbooks and provide corrections and clarifications.
- Generate reports from QuickBooks on request and partner with project Directors and accounting vendor on reconciling grant financials.
- Generate financial reports such as cash-flow analysis, forecasting/scenarios, etc. for internal and external uses.
- Ensure programmatic commitments, policies and procedures, financial standards, and legal requirements are met and managed.
- Reinforce consistency in Coastal Quest’s policies and procedures and provide support to the organization and Board of Directors as needed.
Key grant and fundraising functions:
- Ensure that grant agreements are correctly executed and recorded (for grants received and grants Coastal Quest administers) – including assigning proper grant names and numbers in databases and tracking systems.
- Calendar deadlines for grants and coordinate with project leads to submit reports and proposals complete and on time.
- Support project leads in preparing grant invoices for state and federal funders.
- Record donations and grants in Salesforce.
- Generate Salesforce reports.
Key operations functions:
- Support for Executive Director as needed.
- Coordinate with and support information needs for external vendors for HR, IT, and benefits providers.
- Budgeting for organization and grants.
- Accurate budget tracking and reconciliations as needed working with accounting vendor.
- Support all aspects of grants and contract management for Coastal Quest and fiscally sponsored projects, including internal account reconciliation and external invoicing, and working collaboratively with project Directors.
- Work collaboratively with Senior Director and Board on administration and reporting to the Board of Directors.
- Apply forward-thinking operation initiatives to improve non-profit abilities for effectiveness and efficiency.
- Perform general office activities and project support on a variety of programs.
- Support multiple projects with the ability to work independently, set deadlines, and ensure personal accountability.
- Strong finance and grants administration background.
- Experience with contractual and financial management of state and federal government grant-makers.
- Attention to detail and strong organizational skills – for yourself and to support the teams you work with – with ability to seek support to effectively prioritize heavy workloads.
- Experience managing sensitive and proprietary information with discretion and confidentiality
- High level of professionalism and ability to be flexible in a growing organization.
- Excellent and proactive oral and written communication skills.
Knowledge and Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Finance, Accounting, Business Administration, Human Resources, or a related field.
- 7+ years related professional experience or equivalent combination.
- Non-profit accounting experience.
- Applicable experience with grants and contract management.
- Experience using CRM systems, especially Salesforce.
- Familiarity with GAAP
- Experience using QuickBooks or other financial reporting systems to generate reports.
- Experience with government regulations related to grants and contracts.
- Experience, coursework, or other training with U.S. Federal Uniform Guidance, state and local regulations, and standard contract clauses.
- Multi-lingual skills and multi-cultural or cross-cultural experiences are appreciated.
- Experience working with fiscally sponsored projects a plus.
Application Instructions: Please submit the following in 1 pdf to firstname.lastname@example.org
- 1-page cover letter
- 3 references
Salary: $96,000-$129,000 depending on qualifications and experience
Benefits: Competitive package, including health, eye, dental, 401k, paid time off, holidays, and sick leave
Closing Date: Open until filled
Location: Headquarters in Oakland, CA. Minimum 3-4 days/week in-person office hours expected
Coastal Quest is fully committed to attracting, retaining, developing, and promoting the most qualified employees without regard to their race, gender, color, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, age, physical or mental disability, citizenship status, veteran status, or any other characteristic prohibited by state or local law. We are dedicated to providing a work environment free from discrimination and harassment and where employees are treated with respect and dignity.